ant-dev mailing list archives

From "James Cook" <jimc...@iname.com>
Subject RE: Ant 2.0 Consideration
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2000 01:09:14 GMT

Tasks that do not deal with Filesets would return false when asked about a
particular file.

> > For example, given a particular File object, I should be able to ask
> > a Copy Task if it will include this task.  Since the Copy Task does
> > not extend MatchingTask, this becomes impossible.
>
> Why? Or better, why would this be possible if Copy extended
> MatchingTask?

Because MatchingTask (or FileSet) can (or could) answer the question, "Is
this file included/excluded from your scope?"

> Could you please expand a little on how an IDE would benefit if it
> knew whether a given task in a given buildfile would actually affect a
> given file?

Ant works on a concept of projects/targets/tasks, while a Java IDE manages
files based on projects/packages/files. While it is possible to stick Ant
directly into an IDE and have the person work against the Ant build script
directly, this breaks the IDE's paradigm. It would be akin to sticking
Antidote directly in the IDE. It would work, but it would never be truly
integrated.

I envision a system where the developer can assign a task at a high level,
perhaps the project or package level. Then the developer can select which
files will participate in the task. Maybe when a file is selected, it is
shown all of the tasks that have been declared "above" it. The developer
could then check off which tasks that file will or won't participate in. The
methods that I mentioned previously would help faciliate keeping track of
which tasks a particular file is participating in.

jim