ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:30:00 GMT
On 12/30/00 11:04 PM, "Scott Stirling" <sstirling@mediaone.net> wrote:

> If you built this capability into Ant, it should be as easy as (for
> example):
>
> java -jar ant.jar -update
>
> But I don't see any bang for going any further than that.  Otherwise one
> might as well write a general purpose Java app that checks CVS for new code,
> or uses JNLP to get new "released versions" of code.

Yep. That's about as far as it needs to go for core Ant. There's no way I
want to be able to update based on CVS. I'd rather that sort of
functionality only be used for stable updates. If a dev wants the latest and
scariest bits, they should be able to fish them from CVS. If they can't do
that, then they shouldn't be playing with them. :)

To the discussion about locally available task sources, yes, definitely
tasks should be able to define somehow where their source base and to
request auto rebuilds if necessary.

> Actually, I guess it's a non-Ant problem, more of a generic problem having
> to do with keeping software up-to-date.

Yeah, it *is* the sort of thing that could be abstracted out into a few
classes. Or something that could be part of a larger CJAN-like thing. Who
knows. It's all blue sky right now.

.duncan

                                                                  !try; do()