ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Setting classpath
Date Sun, 31 Dec 2000 11:15:22 GMT
(moved to -dev as this is more a futures "dev" discussion in this follow-up)

On 12/29/00 3:05 AM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

> Hopefully in Ant2.0 you will be able to add the attribute
> ant:classpath="..." and it will automagically run it via a new classloader.
> It is something I would find extremely useful thou it is still up to
> discussion thou ...
> Cheers,

Actually, all tasks should run in a classloader. My gut feeling right now is
that they should get the system classpath (what was there before Ant ran) +
the classpath needed to load the task (usually a .jar). This does assume
that Ant takes care of all of it's dependencies via it's own custom class
loader which allows the user to leave their classpath as free or ugly as
they like it.

The only thing more needed is additional classpath info which would be
appended to the system classpath in the task's classloader.

Note that I'm *not* for ignoring the system classloader space. Whatever
users put into their $CLASSPATH env var or is in their /lib/ext, they should
be able to live with. However, I completely buy into the notion that users
shouldn't have things go freaky because Ant itself is relying on a xml
parsing library or such.

.duncan

                                                                  !try; do()