ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2000 07:28:08 GMT
On 12/27/00 11:11 PM, "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Actually, I would expect whatever "group" (even if it's only an individual
> just working privately) "owns" Ant to -not- necessarily have an up-to-date
> version of Ant. I would expect them to only update the version (or
> possibly only certain source-files) for specific reasons and only at
> acceptable points in time. For example, I currently have a mixture of
> 1.2alpha, some straight 1.2, some post-1.2, plus some in-house mods. When
> 1.3 becomes available, I'll review what's changed, see if there's anything
> that I want/need, and if there is, determine when would be a good time to
> (either fully or partially) update.

One way of handling this is to have an ant.conf file that is part of the
distro. One of the properties of this file could be something like
'udpateserver=http://jakarta.apache.org/ant/latestversion". This location
could have a pointer to where the latest version was along with version
number, etc.

Then, in an installation like yours, you could change that -- thereby
changing the action of `ant -selfupdate` to only grab your version.

.duncan

                                                                  !try; do()