ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2000 06:32:31 GMT
On 12/27/00 1:27 PM, "Peter Vogel" <pvogel@arsin.com> wrote:

> In other words, a proper tree build, under all of these proposals, will happen
> as follows: ant is invoked ant *possibly* builds extensions to itself ant
> invokes new version of ant to continue the build ant builds rest of tree

Actually ant wouldn't necessarily need to invoke a new version of itself to
build -- it can just load in the classes using a class loader.

> It could be argued, I suppose, that the CM group would "own" ant and be
> responsible for ensuring that all developers always have an up-to-date version
> of ant for their tree, but that assumes the presence of a true CM group, etc.
> which may not be the case for many organizations.

By "Ant building itself" do you mean refreshing out the core to keep an
up-to-date version? If so, I could think of doing something like an:

    `ant -selfupdate`

Which would hit the distribution site and see if it needed to get new code.
Of course this wouldn't be default behavior since you don't always have a
network connection. And of course, you don't want to pull straight out of
CVS as that might not be as stable. You'd want it searching on the
milestones or some such.

Or, another possibility is for Ant to check every n days for a new version.

.duncan

                                                                  !try; do()