ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Ant vs. other "ant"s (was: Re: Whoa Bessie...)
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2000 02:07:20 GMT
On 12/22/00 4:36 PM, "Diane Holt" <holtdl@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Jason Hunter <jhunter@collab.net> wrote:
>> An open source code base can't be made "un-OpenSource".
>
> Yes, I know. That's why I used the words "seemed to be trying to". And
> that's, I believe, one of the big reasons everyone started jumping up and
> down -- because of the very fact that you *can't* do that, no matter who
> you are or what role you initially played.

Open Source code still belongs to somebody/one/entity/foundation. Sure, you
can take that code and do whatever you want to with it. I've *never* argued
for taking that away. I think people need to understand what it means to
have ownership of code and the implications of that.

Open Source != Public Domain. All Open Source licenses are based on
Copyright Law which is based on the concept of ownership. *Somebody* has to
own the code. In our case it's the ASF Members.

As to the Public Domain side of things: Technically, even if you claim that
you are putting code into the public domain, you have to jump through a lot
more hoops than just claiming it's PD code. Authorship automatically creates
ownership.

At Apache on the individual mailing lists, a lot of loose definitions have
been used (most of which aren't entirely factual), and now we are reaping
the costs of that. First off, we should be using contributor agreements that
anybody that checks code in has to sign that states what the ground rules
are. Since we're not doing that, nobody really knows. :( But rule #1 is that
all source code under ASF license in the ASF CVS tree belongs to Apache,
otherwise it shouldn't be in the source tree.

New Years Resolution: Committer Agreements... This is something that we'll
address at the Jakarta PMC meeting in January.

                                                                  !try; do()