ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <>
Subject Re: Problem using script task
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2000 01:59:27 GMT
On 12/26/00 2:45 PM, "Diane Holt" <> wrote:

> Yes, well, that's something that those who have the Say So have said No to.
> Personally, I find Ant lacking because of that as well, but the argument is
> that if you want that, you can use <script>. Unfortunately, as you've seen,
> just getting the <script> task working isn't exactly trivial -- and working
> with it isn't exactly all that straightforward either. It's one of the things
> I'm personally hoping will improve with Ant2.

I'd like to see Ant2 shipping with a full scripting implementation actually.
Via a <script> task of course, but I don't think there is an issue with
scripts modifing the project tree or calling it's own tasks or executing

> I don't think what you do with your <script> stuff is open to anyone's
> objections -- it's available for whatever you choose to do with it. In
> fact, the same could be said for any *Java* tasks you want to write for
> yourself as well. For example, there's the <case> task that (hope I'm
> remembering right) Nico wrote (which I'll probably put to use myself
> before long).

Right -- anything that happens in the scope of a task is fair game. Now,
whether or not that task is core or optional is a different story. :)

James Duncan Davidson
                                                                  !try; do()

View raw message