ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: build.classpath and tinderbox builds
Date Wed, 27 Dec 2000 17:46:18 GMT
on 12/26/2000 2:29 PM, "Sam Ruby" <rubys@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> I'm contemplating making a change to ...taskdefs.javac.getCompileClasspath,
> and would like to solicit feedback before making the change.  At the
> moment, the classpath attributes/elements are placed in *FRONT* of any
> system defined classpaths.  In most cases, this means that the developer
> has no easy way to override this behavior at runtime.
>
> What I would like to do is to introduce a build.classpath property that
> modifies this behavior.  Depending on the value of this property, the
> system class path is placed in front, in back, or is not overridden at all.
> I'm willing to leave the default behavior as it is, though I disagree with
> it - adding to my classpath is being friendly, overriding it silently is
> not.

I agree.

> For an example of why this is important to me, take a look at :

http://oss.software.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/jakarta/proto/index.ht
ml> .

Nice layout. :-) One suggestion, add full dates to the output. In other
words, I want to know time and date when things were built. FYI, I just used
your tool to fix the javadoc and compiler warnings in Turbine. :-)

> I'm attempting to build each project using the latest results from all the
> projects that they depend on.  If you notice the xml-cocoon build failed,
> and it looks like there are recent changes to both the xml-fop and turbine
> projects which will likely break cocoon if they are released in their
> current form.  You may also notice that the xml-cocoon2 build did *not*
> fail - this is because the xml-cocoon2 build process overrides the
> classpath I provided; I have verified that at least the xml-fop changes
> will break xml-cocoon2.

The Turbine ones will as well if Cocoon2 is depending on the database pool.

> Suggestions for property names, values, alternate approaches, or comments
> on the tinderbox builds I am prototyping are all welcome.

Other than above, it looks great! I want it! :-)

-jon

--
Honk if you love peace and quiet.