ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Pier P. Fumagalli" <p...@betaversion.org>
Subject Re: Whoa Bessie... Was -- Re: [Proposal] AntFarm
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 09:14:26 GMT
James Duncan Davidson <duncan@x180.net> wrote:
> On 12/18/00 8:28 AM, "glennm@ca.ibm.com" <glennm@ca.ibm.com> wrote:
>
>> To come back out of the blue and announce that Ant is out of control and
>> must be reigned in is more than a little arrogant IMHO.
>
> So, I take it that you would answer yes to my "Am I being arrogant pig?"
> question. :)
>
> I said that because other people have said it to me. Jon, Pier? Ya there?
> There's two people right there.

Yep... Kinda late on emails (around 500 yet to read on this list) but
somehow here. What I told James (since he's the person closer to Ant I see
most) is that I hated how that little creep changes every single attribute
on every single release... And I have to go ahead and modify my bazillion of
makefiles.

I stopped posting on this list when someone started saying that they wanted
to put JavaScript in makefiles, and to repeat myself, I said "I'm going to
checkout my own local copy of Ant and maintain it". That's what I did,
because over here, in ANT land things change way too often.

Gee, just take a look at the other build tools available: GNU Make. I
recompiled recently my old mod_jserv (almost 2 years without a change) with
the latest version of GMAKE and IT WORKS! It doesn't say "that **** is
deprecated, use another".

Now, when I ranted with James and he later on showed me his proposal, I was
so happy to see that someone was "re-analyzing" the problem from bottom up,
and trying to bring some order I almost cried.

And my 0.02$ are, from what I read here, everyone is scared that James is
going to take over the world, scared to loose their own little piece of
"kingdom" because the new "dictator" is arising, without even listening to
what he has to say "technically". I listened, it made sense, it's what I
want, so I would love to see it happen... I didn't cry when Giacomo came on
the Cocoon mailing list and took over "my" Cocoon 2.0 (as Stefano didn't do
it when I revolutioned his Cocoon 1.x). Revolutions happen, and if we don't
care about loosing our "prestige" or "leadership" but look at their
technical value, we'll find out that most of them are very valid...

    Pier

--
Pier Fumagalli  <http://www.betaversion.org/>  <mailto:pier@betaversion.org>