ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Thu, 21 Dec 2000 07:47:15 GMT
On 12/19/00 9:30 PM, "Joshua Davis" <jsd2000@bellatlantic.net> wrote:

> Both proposals have merit, but niether one discusses what the problem to be
> solved is.

Hrm. Ok. That should be more obvious, yes.

The problem to be solved is cross platform building and packaging of Java
based projects. That was the original goal -- and is still the clearest
problem to be solved.

All other problems that can be solved are tangential to that original
problem case. While it would be nice to use Ant to build c/c++ files --
actually Configure/Make serve some really good needs here that just don't
happen in the Java world. There's no reason why all of this can't be done
with Ant as currently implemented even, however it's not the original
problem domain. Same with XML/XSLT/Website builds. Possible, but it *is*
important to know what the highest order bits are.

> ANT's specificity is its utility, for me.

Well put.

> Also consider this:
> Installing / deploying is typically a separate process with different
> requirements done by different people.  It's very tempting to have the build
> system deploy things as well (people try to deploy things with CVS all the
> time).

Another good point. An installer should be a separate
program/product/entity. Where there's synergy, yes, good, but otherwise,
it's not a high order bit.

> Genericity leads to the "trying to boil the ocean" problem.  ANT is very
> vulnerable to this.  I would hate to see it devolve into some sort of wierdo
> XML scripting language.

Amen.

                                                                  !try; do()