ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:04:07 GMT
On 12/19/00 6:32 PM, "Simeon H.K. Fitch" <simeon@fitch.net> wrote:

> Since the human-computer interface for Ant is the build file (until Antidote
> delivers), I believe usability arguments should be applied against the build
> file spec (which I don't think James is claiming to address in his proposal,
> nor
> has anyone else, yet).

Doesn't matter when we get a GUI -- the build file will always be an
important HI point.

> A no-no in whose mind? I've never heard that one before. How would you account
> for the overwhelming success of Swing?

Not everyone is enchanted with Swing. Keep that in mind. Swing has enjoyed
popularity, yes -- and is pushed as the UI for the Java Platform by Sun.
This accounts for some huge part of its success. But, it is hard to wrap
your head around, and until you do it's not an easy API to use -- nor are
its usage patterns immediately obvious.

> I would also argue that because James' approach results in significantly less
> code than a design that has not been normalized, that the maintenance benefit
> from code reduction alone is a win.

The core of Ant is approx 10 classes. Code size is not a huge issue here.

                                                                  !try; do()