ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Whoa Bessie... Was -- Re: [Proposal] AntFarm
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 05:03:04 GMT
On 12/18/00 8:28 AM, "glennm@ca.ibm.com" <glennm@ca.ibm.com> wrote:

> To come back out of the blue and announce that Ant is out of control and
> must be reigned in is more than a little arrogant IMHO.

So, I take it that you would answer yes to my "Am I being arrogant pig?"
question. :)

I said that because other people have said it to me. Jon, Pier? Ya there?
There's two people right there.

> staying true to the perceived goals of the project.  If we create a
> bottleneck of one "owner" who gets to decide what's in and what's out, why
> do you need other commiters?  How does voting work?  Do you simply veto
> everything that you feel doesn't fit your view of Ant?  Admittedly, I'm
> painting an extreame picture here, but it is more than possible.

Why do you need a project lead in a typical project? Why doesn't the project
lead do all the coding?

> I'm not bitter, and I'm happy you have the offer from O'Reilly.  I really
> do think a book about Ant will be valuable.  However, I think it should be
> about an Ant we _all_ want, not just you.

Obviously the Ant as first written, and which is there now to a large
degree, is something that a lot of people wanted, not just me.

Look -- I'm not saying that all of Ant's ills are because of the people that
have been committing since I've been gone. Most of them are because of code
that *I* originally wrote. Or places where things weren't written down or
not clear or whatever.

> I would hate to see you leave this project.  I am a new committer to Ant in
> terms of both time and experience, and I rely on people like you to help
> make my own contributions as valuable as possilbe.  From everything I've
> seen in the past, you are one of those active people who not only has good
> ideas, but does your best to implement them for the good of the development
> community.  However, I'm not sure if you current approach is best for Ant.

Maybe, maybe not. That's up for debate.  But I've been working hard to make
Jakarta a reality. I was working on it for well over a year before it went
public. It's now been public for a while and we'll see how it turns out. I
guess I'm saying that there's no one best way of making this work -- and we
have to figure out what that is.

                                                                  !try; do()