ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Whoa Bessie... Was -- Re: [Proposal] AntFarm
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 01:21:01 GMT
On 12/18/00 2:49 AM, "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

> I'm concerned about the number of proposed revolutions myself, but for
> a different - pragmatic - reason. When should anybody read all the
> code and when do we want to come a conclusion.

That's a good reason as well.

> I'll be leaving for two weeks of vacation on Wednesday, and even if
> there should be a computer in reach somewhere, I'm sure my family
> would rather kill me than let me touch it.

:) It's good to get away. After the first week, you won't even miss it...
Much. :)

> Maybe it would have been better to
> get a clear vision of the feature set we require from Ant 2, formalize
> that and then maybe let different implementations compete - this is
> what I tried to start when you announced AntEater, but then I consider
> myself more of an Evolutionary.

Then maybe I should sit down and write the functional spec of what Ant2
should be. Then the code is a SMOP and it won't come down to evaluation of
several different code bases.

> Here we disagree. Ant has been in a flow - I agree - but we all knew
> we needed a bigger step and that should be Ant2. I didn't perceive
> chaos and I didn't miss a dictator, benevolent or not.

The projects that use Ant have been complaining about things changing. It is
the build tool for Jakarta projects, and those people have been telling me
that things are chaotic.

> Like I said, I'm not sure what you are trying to say. "If you don't
> chose AntEater, don't call it Ant", "If you don't chose AntEater, I'll
> fork it of myself", "If you prefer another proposal, go somewhere else
> and give it a new name"?

I'm not sure what I'm trying to say either. We haven't had this problem
before in the Apache community (the problem of so many proposals). This is
virgin territory for those of us who have worked in the Apache model for a
long time.

.duncan

                                                                  !try; do()