ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Extensible Attributes
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 06:24:21 GMT
On 12/14/00 12:44 AM, "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:

> The solution to this problem would be to use namespaces IMHO. Ant
> doesn't handle namespaces ATM but as Ant2 will use SAX2 we could make
> Ant ignore everything that's not in its namespace. So you'd define
> your owner attribute in a namespace owners and make that

Actually the more I think about this, the more that I'm okay that
information that is meaningless to Ant or a task gets dropped on the floor
but is preserved for other tools to use.

This keeps in with the principle that we use XML as a data vehicle, but
aren't subject to all of its rules. For example, no DTD can be written for
all of Ant+Optional tasks. A DTD could be made for core tasks, but Ant
doesn't use it.

                                                                  !try; do()