ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <>
Subject Re: Anteater... I'm Baaaack...
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 05:24:00 GMT
On 12/14/00 5:15 PM, "James Cook" <> wrote:

> I see round-tripping as a major impetus behind an Ant 2.0. I guess I have to
> see a list of the shortcomings in Ant 1.2! I haven't experienced too many
> from a user's perspective.

Not necessarily round tripping from the perspective of a byte-byte pov, but
yes, the ability to modify and potentially save out the tree is of prime
importance to allow both scripts to work the right way and for GUI

> 1. Ant build scripts should be parsed from a variety of valid input sources
> into a DOM structure to facilitate Ant integration into GUI editing
> environments. (let the flames begin) :-)

Hrm. It's possible that a ProjectBuilder could work from a multitude of
sources. However, DOM I don't agree with. Even JDOM I donĀ¹t agree with. This
stuff can be strongly typed. And if we move it to Collection oriented, it
gets even easier to build a GUI on it.. Granted, that GUI won't be able to
be used to reflect other XML structures, but that's ok by me.

No, I don't hate DOM -- I even was a member of the DOM working group for a
while. For it's purpose it works well. This isn't in its problem domain.

James Duncan Davidson
                                                                  !try; do()

View raw message