ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: AntEater
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 05:07:52 GMT
On 12/15/00 8:44 AM, "James Cook" <jimcook@iname.com> wrote:

> I think the concept behind Ant should be changed to be a "Task Execution
> Engine", and the concept of Project and Target can be generalized into a
> specific form of a Task.
>
> Project would end up being a class that simply implements the Task interface.
>
> In a similar perspective, Install would also be a class that implements Task.
>
> If you want a general tool, then this is a must.

I disagree. I don't want Ant to be a general tool. I want it to be a Java
based project build tool. That's it. I realize that the patterns exposed,
especially the reflection of XML data to objects in a dynamic fashion, is
pretty flexible in itself and suggests lots of generic ways to do things.
However, I would rather live through a few iterations of playing with the
magic inherent before trying to generalize.

I've generalized things too fast, it's fun for the brain, but makes things
more complicated. Imho.

                                                                  !try; do()