ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <>
Subject Re: AntEater
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 05:07:52 GMT
On 12/15/00 8:44 AM, "James Cook" <> wrote:

> I think the concept behind Ant should be changed to be a "Task Execution
> Engine", and the concept of Project and Target can be generalized into a
> specific form of a Task.
> Project would end up being a class that simply implements the Task interface.
> In a similar perspective, Install would also be a class that implements Task.
> If you want a general tool, then this is a must.

I disagree. I don't want Ant to be a general tool. I want it to be a Java
based project build tool. That's it. I realize that the patterns exposed,
especially the reflection of XML data to objects in a dynamic fashion, is
pretty flexible in itself and suggests lots of generic ways to do things.
However, I would rather live through a few iterations of playing with the
magic inherent before trying to generalize.

I've generalized things too fast, it's fun for the brain, but makes things
more complicated. Imho.

James Duncan Davidson
                                                                  !try; do()

View raw message