ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: Ant 2.0 Consideration
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 04:13:42 GMT
On 12/14/00 5:09 PM, "James Cook" <jimcook@iname.com> wrote:

> Ant works on a concept of projects/targets/tasks, while a Java IDE manages
> files based on projects/packages/files. While it is possible to stick Ant
> directly into an IDE and have the person work against the Ant build script
> directly, this breaks the IDE's paradigm. It would be akin to sticking
> Antidote directly in the IDE. It would work, but it would never be truly
> integrated.

True, unless somebody built an IDE around Ant.. Which is something that I've
thought about using pieces of NetBeans. But that's for another discussion.

However, I don't think that it's at all unreasonable for an IDE integration
module to reflect the sources contained in the tasks into the IDE in a way
that makes sense in that IDE. For example, all the sources could be
presented in one unified package structure to the user -- or as separate
nodes. I've seen IDEs that go either way, so....

.duncan

                                                                  !try; do()