ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: [myrmidon] Updates
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 03:21:49 GMT
On 12/10/00 5:19 PM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

> Also James do you still have any issues regarding Avalon integration? The
> only one that I don't think I have addressed is the size of the jar file.

Yes. Just because you have addressed them doesn't mean that I agree with
Avalon integration. To me, Ant is just not of that model. And yes, I
understand what Avalon does to a large degree -- I've written general
purpose server toolkits before (there was this thing called Java Server
Toolkit once upon a time upon which a few well known webservers were built
-- and which we built DHCP, DNS, FTP, and a whole bunch of other servers on
top of, not that that particular product saw the light of day).

It's not just the size, it's having another dependency, and having that
dependency being a framework which will change over time. I'd like to see
the number of dependencies in Ant to a minimum. Right now we are looking at
XML and Regexp. We don't want any more than that. Or at least *I* don't.

                                                                  !try; do()