ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <>
Subject Re: Taskdef for XMLC (
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:42:32 GMT
On 12/9/00 7:33 PM, "Jon Stevens" <> wrote:

> +1 for not including optional tool tasks that don't serve any real purpose
> for Ant directly and would in reality be better bundled with the original
> product that it serves.
> The rest of the tasks that don't fall into that category above should go
> into a jakarta-ant-optional CVS repo (like the Perforce task). In other
> words put things in their proper place.

I agree in principle with this. My hope with Ant when it went out is that
tasks would be available from a multitude of sources. I didn't expect
everyone to want them in the core distro. This is one of the reasons that
I've been arguing for extensive modularization in tasks (being able to have
them in their own jar) and am looking forward to talking with Jon and some
other folks about CJAN -- so that we can have an ecology of tasks that
doesn't require all tasks to be developed and maintained here.

Of course the best place for these sorts of tasks is with the tool itself.
For example, Netbeans and Ant. Any open source/open dev project should be
easy. It's the Visual Ages of the world that are a little more difficult to
get things bundled with.

James Duncan Davidson
                                                                  !try; do()

View raw message