ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Optional Tasks
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2000 23:28:41 GMT
on 12/10/2000 1:52 PM, "Mariusz Nowostawski" <>

> I am in support of this. I think, the central place makes the life of
> users easier, as the user needs to have single optional.jar and do not
> need to play with any property files or <taskdef>s on her own.  Having a
> single web-page with just a list of optional tasks, is not that easy to
> use, user needs to plug in different jars with optional tasks, and play
> with taskdefs or property files for them (unless ANT have a .aar file
> format 'Ant optional task ARchieve' ;o) with some standard way of putting
> optional tasks and their meta-information, description and task-to-class
> mapping.
> Also, central place can make integration of particular tasks, for example
> parser generation, into a single task possible.

You are stating things in a way as if you see something that is broken that
you can't fix. Think in terms of doing things properly.

We should build functionality into Ant that makes integration of optional
tasks as easy as downloading a .jar file from a website and placing it into
a directory.

I believe that what James is doing with Ant 2.0 allows for this.

> I like the idea that task contributors could automatically get added as
> developers, and could maintain their own tasks. Maybe SourceForge is the
> good place for it. Developers of optional tasks could maintain a webpage
> with the list of all of them, and jakarta-ant would simply point to it.
> This model really makes jakarta-ant resource not coupled with all the
> optional stuff, and jakarta-ant commiters do not need to do a thing for
> all these optional stuff. They could put a link to prebuild binary of
> optional.jar as well.

View raw message