ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/proposal/anteater/lib crimson.jarjaxp.jar
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 06:51:03 GMT
On 12/6/00 6:07 PM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

> I thought they were covered by "Binary Code License Agreement" + the
> standard extention Supplemental. I agree you break some parts .. namely you
> don't
>
> 1. comply with export restrictions to embargoes countries
> 2. allow it to be used within nuclear facilties ;)
> 3. possibly the strictures set out for US gov software (which I don't know
> anything about)

1. Well, we take about the same precautions as anyone else on the net --
that's what the gov't requires for technology. Everyone tries to log crypto
stuff.. But banning the 7 bad countries is another thing. Maybe we should IP
block em -- but when they get aol.com accounts, the gig is up anyway.

2. The nuclear stuff is legal "don't sue Sun if you do that" language. If a
nuke plant blows and it's cause they were running Java, Sun can point to
that and say "They weren't supposed to do that!"... That's about all it
means. It's like telling you that you aren't supposed to cross the street on
red. If you do it, it's your own damn fault for getting hit by a car.

3. Those restrictions only mean something to Gov't employees and
contractors. They don't apply to normal citizens. This is because the US
Gov't has interesting ways in which they require stuff to be made available
to them.

> However jaxp1.1 is an early release and thus covered by the "Pre-Release
> Binary Software Evaluation Agreement" which explictly disallows
> distribution (among other things). Thats why I *thought* that distributing
> mail.jar is legal but jaxp1.1.jar is not - thou IANAL so ... ;)

Were we distributing? I didn't see a release being made of Crimson with jaxp
1.1 yet. Not a final release. Until then, it's development software and not
released. :)

                                                                  !try; do()