ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/proposal/anteater/lib crimson.jar jaxp.jar
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 01:55:53 GMT
on 12/6/2000 5:42 PM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

> Well not about that but more due to legal thing. I would never touch
> something that has Suns license attached. I thought Apache had a clean tree
> policy - ie only Apache copyright source is allowed to exist in CVS.
> However Crimson has Sun copyright stuff in the tree - this seems silly -
> especially as xml-xerces has similar source (the jaxp parser package) that
> could be easily adpated to jaxp1.1 and we could do away with unclean tree
> and that silly license.
>
> I guess it is a little anal but I have seen the results of discarding
> legality (thou I live in a particularly restrictive country so YMMV).

Turbine is totally illegal with regards to what it distributes. We are legal
with regards to GPL (we don't include any GPL software), but not with
regards to Sun's .jar files (ie: mail.jar, activation.jar, etc...)

Until CJAN is setup and working, I'm not sure how to deal with the issue. I
can't wait to get the letter from Sun telling me to stop though. :-)

-jon