ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: A Users Experience
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:37:25 GMT
On 12/6/00 1:27 AM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

>> So -- how about lets have a jars-promoted workspace that contains the latest
>> mostly stable jars from the various projects in one co-locate space that we
>> can all use?
>>
>> (the name chosen to allow jars-stable as well!).
>
> Because they don't all interoperate. Some uses jaxp1.0, others jaxp1.1.
> Some use conflicting stylebook, xalan, xerces versions. Jetspeed often is a
> few months behind cocoon1/turbine jars etc.

Yes.. And part of the reason we have this mess is that we don't have a /lib
like thing to hold what we need.

Another option is to have a /lib area on the website and use ftp sync of
jars with version numbers (crimson-2000-12-05.jar for example) and let each
tool use what's most recent. Of course this means that the lib/ directory on
your machine will bloat, but it's no worse than all the .jars sprinkled
throughout the source trees.

.duncan

                                                                  !try; do()