ant-dev mailing list archives

From James Duncan Davidson <dun...@x180.net>
Subject Re: A Users Experience
Date Wed, 06 Dec 2000 09:06:38 GMT
On 12/5/00 1:08 AM, "Conor MacNeill" <conor@m64.com> wrote:

> By bootstrapping, here I mean bulding ant purely from its source. We
> always use ant to build ant (once it has been bootstrapped).  By Peter's
> definition therefore, ant always bootstraps itself :-)
>
> I think being able to bootstrap from source is an important capability
> which should be retained. (i.e. no need for ant.jar to build ant.jar)

It *is* important to be able to bootstrap. The *only* reason though that the
xml jars are checked into the AntEater space is that it's moved around a bit
-- and hopefully will move again shortly. The Bootstrap.java could easily
just reach out and compile the xml-crimson workspace into a temporary area
and use that for bootstrapping. In fact, I'm going to go off and do that
right now... But it seems that I've got to fix the crimson build first.

   Compiling 127 files to ../bootstrap/temp/crimson
../../../../xml-crimson/src/org/apache/crimson/tree/DomImpl.java:69: class
org.apache.crimson.tree.DomImpl must be declared abstract. It does not
define org.w3c.dom.DocumentType createDocumentType(java.lang.String,
java.lang.String, java.lang.String) from interface
org.w3c.dom.DOMImplementation.
public class DomImpl implements DOMImplementation
             ^
1 error

.duncan

                                                                  !try; do()