ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: [submit] optional task for Poet ptjavac compiler/enhancer
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 19:41:26 GMT
on 12/5/2000 10:08 AM, "Craig Kelley" <ckelley@HotPOP.com> wrote:

> Attached is an optional task that is a subclass (with too much cut and
> paste ;-) of the Javac task to run the Poet ptjavac external compiler to
> compile Java code and enhance it for use with the Poet object oriented
> database (OODB).
>
> To use the task you must have Poet (of course) with the appropriate Poet
> jars included in your classpath, and the ptjavac compiler executable in
> your path. Since ptjavac actually uses the Sun compiler classes in some
> way, you also have to have the appropriate JDK jars in your classpath.
>
> The usage is pretty much like the Sun javac compiler with a couple of
> extra arguments to tell Poet where its configuration file is and what to
> do with the schema.
>
> -- Craig

I have a question:

Why are people submitting every task under the Sun to be included with Ant?
What is wrong with simply including your Poet task with Poet and leaving it
at that?

Turbine and Velocity have a number of Ant tasks that are used to benefit
Turbine and Velocity, but I'm not about to submit them here for inclusion
with Ant because they live just fine within their respective projects.

I just don't get it. Why are we bloating Ant like this?

-jon