ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: Uh, I must be missing something ...
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 05:58:08 GMT
on 12/4/2000 9:36 PM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:

> Okay - I just added a note under lib/README that gives location
> (http://www.savarese.org/oro/downloads/index.html#NetComponents). I guessed
> the location of some other components but if anyone adds a task to CVS that
> has dependencies could you update lib/README (and corect any I mucked up ;])
>
> Basically the difference between optional and non-optional tasks is whether
> or not they require outside tasks. Except for style all the non-optional
> tasks are self-contained with ant. (Style is there via legacy)
>
> Cheers,
>
> Pete

Does the build system gracefully handle the case where someone tries to
compile something that requires an optional .jar file and it doesn't exist
in the classpath?

For an example of what I'm talking about take a look at what I did with
Anakia's build file...if the class can't be found, the system will report a
nice error message...

<http://jakarta.apache.org/velocity/anakia.html>

<target name="prepare">
        <available classname="org.apache.velocity.anakia.AnakiaTask"
        property="AnakiaTask.present"/>
    </target>

    <target depends="prepare" name="prepare-error"
unless="AnakiaTask.present">
        <echo>
            AnakiaTask is not present! Please check to make sure that
            velocity.jar is in your classpath.
        </echo>
    </target>

    <target name="docs" depends="prepare-error" if="AnakiaTask.present">
       <taskdef name="anakia"
classname="org.apache.velocity.anakia.AnakiaTask"/>
        <anakia basedir="${docs.src}" destdir="${docs.dest}/"
             extension=".html" style="./site.vsl"
             projectFile="./stylesheets/project.xml"
             excludes="**/stylesheets/**"
             includes="**/*.xml"
             lastModifiedCheck="false"
             velocityPropertiesFile="velocity.properties">
        </anakia>
    </target>

thanks,

-jon