ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jon Stevens <...@latchkey.com>
Subject Re: A Users Experience
Date Tue, 05 Dec 2000 03:22:37 GMT
on 12/4/2000 5:46 PM, "Simeon H.K. Fitch" <simeon@fitch.net> wrote:

> The jakarta-ant/README that I have has the entry:
>
> For building see docs/index.html#buildingant.
>
> When I go to that section I get the following directions (bare with me here):
>
> Go to the directory jakarta-ant.
>
> Make sure the JDK is in you path.
>
> Set the JAVA_HOME environment variable. This should be set to the
> directory where the JDK is installed. See Installing Ant for examples
> on how to do this for your operating system.

because of missing .jar files.

There is NOTHING in that documentation that states the dependencies of Ant
on other .jar files.

> At which part of the above instructions did your attempt die?

I ALREADY STATED WHAT HAPPENED!

> Can you
> offer some recommendations on how the instructions and/or the
> bootstrap.sh script can be improved? It is important to get specific
> recommendations, especially from non-regular submitters, as it is
> often hard to see the forest for the trees when you have been using it
> for a while.

Include documentation on all the dependencies of Ant. Also add those
dependency .jar files into CVS so that people can download it from CVS and
build it without having to jump through hoops.

-jon

--
Honk if you love peace and quiet.