ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stephane Bailliez <sbaill...@imediation.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Optional Tasks
Date Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:24:50 GMT

[...]
> Another candidate is the <javac> task itself. The current
> mess of supporting
> many compiler variations is not really nice. I would like to
> see a mechanism
> where different compilers could be plugged in. In fact such a
> system would
> allow the Jikes implementation to be moved out of the core
> and into the
> Jikes project.

Agreed. This is exactly the problem I ran into this week end. I was trying
to plug the mjavac compiler from Metamata that add a couple of things to the
bytecode for coverage or debug purposes, but the current implementation
somewhat blocked me.
I faced two choices:
- copy/paste the vast majority of the code to my own implementation. :-(
- add another doMJavacCompile and doMJikesCompile to the Javac :-(

In any case not a good thing..so I did nothing yet, 'im still unsure about
the best way to do it right now.

The only thing that change for mjavac and mjikes is the addition of another
option "-cover", it was thus an ideal candidate for inheritance.

--
 St├ęphane Bailliez
 Software Engineer, Paris - France