ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Hall, John" <jh...@solant.com>
Subject RE: AW: Whoa Bessie... Was -- Re: [Proposal] AntFarm
Date Mon, 18 Dec 2000 20:40:29 GMT
+1000!

The only code that should be submitted is that which is
necessary to describe the more complex points of the
implementation/architecture. At a minimum, the requirements
should be clearly stated and substantiated with use cases.
All design points should be clearly linked back to the
requirement(s) that precipitated them. Also, integration
points (e.g. Ant/Antidote) need to be clearly defined and
adhered to religously so that development of dependent
projects are facilitated.

jh

-----Original Message-----
From: Ken Wood [mailto:kwood@i2.com]
Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 10:11 AM
To: ant-dev@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: AW: Whoa Bessie... Was -- Re: [Proposal] AntFarm

How about the good old fashioned way:

1. A requirements specification that spells
   out WHAT the software must do, without
   ANY indication of how it should be done.

2. A design document that specifies HOW the
   requirements will be met via a proposed
   implementation.

I suspect the reason we have so many proposals
in the form of code is that code is fun to write.
Specifications and design documents are NOT fun
to write. But, they are a better way communicate
a software effort than trying to compare multiple
proposals in the form of different codebases.

Christoph Wilhelms wrote:

> Sorry, but I have to give a short statement from the view of an Ant user
and
> "extender"!
>
> I think it is very simple what we all want and what we dont want. Please
> correct me if I am wrong!
>
> We want:
>
> * Just ONE Ant!
> * A reliable running, fast, innovative Ant (just like Ant 1.2 is now)
> * An Ant beeing supported, discussed and improved (just like it has been
up
> to now)
> * Many Ant-Developers that work TOGETHER (on the current and future
> versions)
> * A clear line! We want to see in wich direction Ant is going! This is
> mandatory
>   for everyone who wants to EXTEND core ant like ANTIDOTE or
VAJ-Integration
> or
>   JBuilder-Integration etc.
>
> We don't want:
>
> * Competetive Ant-Developers ( ;-) )
> * Many different Ants (Myrmidons, Antfarms, Anteaters, etc.) parallel!
Don't
> misunderstand
>   me: the proposals are on one hand good for improving Ant - on the other
> hand there is
>   NOBODY who can compare the proposals with each other (lack of time).
IMHO