ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Whoa Bessie... Was -- Re: [Proposal] AntFarm
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 00:13:38 GMT
> From: Peter Vogel [mailto:pvogel@arsin.com]
>

> As for the separate .xml files fulfilling the requirement, yes, but at
> what cost w.r.t. maintenance of the system?  If you have to
> update 24 .xml
> files every time you do something to one -- OUCH!  Again, drawing from
> CONS, which I like as a fairly mature "alternative" build tool, the
> "build configuration" is an object that "colors" everything
> the tool does
> from there.  Any external command is executed w.r.t. a build
> configuration
> object, which object is in use depends on the logic of the
> conscript file,
> but is usually determined by a command-line flag supplied
> when cons is
> invoked.  The configuration object determines values of environment
> variables, compiler flags, compiler paths (i.e. the traditional CC
> variable),
> and the name of the sub directory into which derived objects should be
> placed.

This sounds a lot like the right abstraction to look at XSLT (or CSS)
for ANT. To see them as build configuration objects.
The question is how they get associated with the build.
 - Is there a default configuration or user configuration object?
 - Can one conbine their application to the same build?
   User config file, OS config file, build-type config file, etc.

How does one specify in CONS what objects to use?

Jose Alberto