ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Content in tags
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2000 20:17:38 GMT
> From: Barrie Treloar [mailto:Barrie.Treloar@camtech.com.au]
>

> On Fri, 8 Dec 2000, Peter Donald wrote:
>
> > I think that any element that has sub-elements should not
> be able to also
> > have content - rather you only have content or
> sub-elements. ie The below
> > is valid while the above is not. Anyone else share same opinion ?
> >
> > <task1 ...>
> > This is the content
> > </task1>
>
> +1 from me.
>
> XML allows you to do things like this but in practise its rarely
> needed.  Although HTML is built in this way, but thats probably a
> reflection of the poorness of HTML than it being a good way to express
> the data structure.
>
> I dont see Ant requiring this feature.

There are tasks like Echo, and the one for creating property files
or some other tools like SQL that require to pass text because
formatting is important. At the same time I can imagine them
requiring today or in the future sub-elements for passing some information.
In the case of SQL there are <transaction> elements.

Granted, I do not see <sql> being affected, today, but I would suggest
thinking this carefully, so that we do not get in a bind in the future.

How does the SAX Handler deals with empty space between elements today?

Jose Alberto