ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Expansion in includes
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 21:23:35 GMT
> From: Simeon Fitch [mailto:metasim@yahoo.com]
>

> I also think that converting null to
> the empty string is the right behavior, not throwing an exception. If
> there is a typeo they can run in verbose mode and debug the settings.
>

> > But we can do better. If we can catch user mistakes, we
> should. I still
> > feel that implicit declaration of properties is bad.
>
> I agree that we should help the user find bugs, but not at the expense
> of making it difficult for normal use (i.e. makeing people define all
> used properties). I think an apropriate compromise is to enable a
> feature in verbose mode whereby a warning is issued in cases where an
> undefined property is referenced.

This was the same line of reasoning when FORTRAN was defined. Why force
users to declare variables, if it starts with an "i" or "j" is integer, if
it starts with a .... is real.
Why have reserved words, if it is in the location where a reserved word is
expected then it is, otherwise it is just an identifier.

The result is unmaintainable code.

If something Java demonstrates id that strong typing is GOOD.

Jose Alberto