ant-dev mailing list archives

From Jose Alberto Fernandez <JFernan...@viquity.com>
Subject RE: Ant2 and properties
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2000 20:26:42 GMT
> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
>
> At 12:30  5/12/00 +1100, Conor MacNeill wrote:
>
> I was thinking that we could still shortcut it aswell.
>
> ie <property name="foo" value="hello" /> is equivelent to
> above. However
> <property name="foo" value="${myfileset}" /> would actually
> assign foo a
> FileSet object (assuming ${myfileset} evaluated to a FileSet).
>

> >and what it would mean for
> >non-string properties (equivalent to toString() method, perhaps)
>
> yep. See my latest proposal for what I think on that .

The two things above are inconsistent. Either "${myfileset}"
is the result ot toString() method applied to the fileset,
or something else. But it should not be different things depending
of who is using it.

I suggest modifying the interpretation of refid to also look at
the property namespace. So when you say:
 <classpath refid="mypath" />. It will look also for properties called
"mypath". Alternatively, we could say that ${mypath} and ${myfileset}
return the ID of the datatype. An then we should write:
  <classpath refid="${mypath}" />
but this would imply that all datatypes need to have an ID, even if
not declared explicity. So I prefer the former.

Jose Alberto