ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Vogel <pvo...@arsin.com>
Subject RE: Whoa Bessie... Was -- Re: [Proposal] AntFarm
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 01:08:49 GMT
> Hello,
>
> I used CONS as well for a bit and having switched to Ant I am
> much happier
> but as Peter points out, CONS does have a few neat features
> two key items
> being cryptographic signatures associated with build components and
> construction environment object. The reason I switched from
> CONS to Ant is
> that CONS doesn't handle Java well and it requires me to
> write in Perl
> (yuck!!)

Guess we all have our biases.  From my perspective, PERL is "god's language"

for this sort of task!  After 12 years of this, using Make, C, Java, C++,
Perl, and Python for building, PERL stands out as being *exactly* the sort
of language that is needed for this sort of work...

> >This sounds a lot like the right abstraction to look at XSLT (or CSS)
> >for ANT. To see them as build configuration objects.
> >The question is how they get associated with the build.
> >  - Is there a default configuration or user configuration object?
>
> Yes. Defaults are geared toward make/C build.

Yep.

> >How does one specify in CONS what objects to use?
>
> All build directives in CONS (tasks in Ant) require an
> environment object to
> work.

Yep.

> There's a concept of exporting and importing an object from
> one build script
> into another, from parent to child (caller to callee). The user is
> responsible for constructing an environment object and
> explicitly exporting
> it to children scripts with the possibility of having many
> environments or
> choosing between them on the fly at some level. The children
> scripts are
> responsible for explicitly importing objects they're
> interested in which
> doesn't corrupt anyone else's scope.

And all of the import/export and naming of environments can be(and
usually is) done in a single file that is "use'd" by the conscript
files throughout the tree => single point of maintenance for build
environments...  Though if you hate PERL, I can see how this would
not be obvious :-)  My point is that Ant can and should steal ideas
from Cons (and vice-versa) as there are people who know/prefer java
over Perl, one size DOESN'T fit all...

-Peter