ant-dev mailing list archives

From "Simeon H.K. Fitch" <sim...@fitch.net>
Subject Re: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Thu, 28 Dec 2000 22:03:59 GMT

James Duncan Davidson wrote:

> By "Ant building itself" do you mean refreshing out the core to keep an
> up-to-date version? If so, I could think of doing something like an:
>
>     `ant -selfupdate`
>
> Which would hit the distribution site and see if it needed to get new code.
> Of course this wouldn't be default behavior since you don't always have a
> network connection. And of course, you don't want to pull straight out of
> CVS as that might not be as stable. You'd want it searching on the
> milestones or some such.

<snip>

What are the pros & cons of leveraging the appropriate parts of JNLP
(http://java.sun.com/aboutJava/communityprocess/jsr/jsr_056_jnlp.html) for this,
and/or for the underlying communications protocol of CJAN? I'm not talking about
the weak "Web Start Application Manager", but the the specification that
dictates how components are described, how they are cached, how dependencies are
handled, etc.

I've been playing with it for a few days on another project, like the fact that
the only server-side requirements are an HTTP server.

thx,

sim