ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2000 06:24:48 GMT
At 12:30  20/12/00 -0500, Joshua Davis wrote:
>> As interesting as it is to view the world as a tree of single type nodes,
>> when you get into using things for long its inevitable that some sort of
>> specialization creeps in somewhere. And its actually quite useful
>> at times.
>> Genericity is not necessarily your friend. Yes, this is a biased
>> opinion --
>> it's based on 3 1/2 years of coding Java at JavaSoft though if that means
>> anything.
>>

>Genericity leads to the "trying to boil the ocean" problem.  ANT is very
>vulnerable to this.  I would hate to see it devolve into some sort of wierdo
>XML scripting language.

Don't be ludicrous. Genericity does not neccesarily lead to flexability
syndrome (your "trying to boil the ocean"). Just like specificity does not
lead to a rigid jail. Done well genericity works, done poorly it doesn't.
Specificty is easier to do but it's not like we lack brain power on ant-dev
so ...

Cheers,

Pete