ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: Did somebody say Shut up and Write? :)
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 23:47:27 GMT
At 03:16  19/12/00 -0500, James Cook wrote:
>  I hate to sound like I'm  a whiny child here, but you guys should really
>read my proposal before you start  thinking about implementation specifics
>like workspace/module.

Just for a little bit of feedback. While this approach makes it very easy
from a programming perspective I am not sure I like it from a conceptual
angle. Question  - does it make it easy from a usability perspective? or
does it make it easy from a maintanence perspective?

In both cases I would say no. usability is not increased because it assumes
a mind state of user that is programmy rather than not. Considering that
many of the users that I have got into ant have never touched a programming
language in their life (unless you call SQL-by-example and PL ;]) I don't
think this is good.

The proposal also blurs the distinction between container/contained - a
huge no-no in component based design. While I suspect that your approach
would be easier to initially develope it would take more effort to maintain.

Thou this is just my first impressions - I will have to think/look more.