ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: why ant use reflection instead of interfacing
Date Tue, 19 Dec 2000 15:06:49 GMT
At 04:02  19/12/00 +0100, Marco Struck wrote:
>i've seen, that the services which can use from tasks
>are activatable over methodname matching (like beans).
>e.g.
>    public void addFileset(FileSet set);
>
>is there a special reason for that ?
>yust a typing error causes that it doesn't work.

extensability. If we had 50 different data-types we would require 50
interfaces which would be too difficult to manage. Treating them as a
variation of beans enables us to do a lot more things much more flexably
without burdening ant-core with large numbers of interfaces. Reflection
also allows runtime discovery of proerpties etc.

Cheers,

Pete