ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multi-target builds
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2000 23:44:32 GMT
At 12:45  15/12/00 -0700, James Bucanek wrote:
>On a more general note, I'm really surprised that Ant seems to have
>no concept of an up-to-date target, or up-to-date source files.  Make
>really only does one thing: determine which set of files are out of
>date and executes commands to bring them up-to-date.

It is not supposed to ;) While there is the UpToDate task the core is not
meant to do any checking - it is the tasks themselves that should do it.
That way there is no ugly hacks (ala force targets) in ant and everything
is consistent even if you don't deal with files.

>Ant, on the other hand, bills itself as a replacement for make

nope - it is a dependency task execution environment. It can replace make
as a build dependency tool but not necessary to inherit all the faults of
make.

>but
>seems to leave this dependency checking entirely in the hands of the
>individual tasks.

right.

>Am I missing something here, or does this seem
>like an obvious use pattern that should be somehow integrated with
>Ant (even if it's only a set of utility classes for use by tasks)?

The utility classes are partway there - they just haven't been widely
adapted. The reason mainly is that ant has been evolving so fast it is
often hard to keep up ;)

Cheers,

Pete