ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <>
Subject Re: Anteater... I'm Baaaack...
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2000 14:28:39 GMT
At 09:22  15/12/00 -0500, James Cook wrote:
> [...]

the fact that everything is a node - attributes are nodes, as are text
content. The access path is not intuitive. Instead of getting content for
current node if you are an element you get the content of child text node
of current element etc. While this insures that it can be used easily
across multiple languages it is not the easiest thing to use.

>Even without knowing
>explicitly, I would think that the use of a base class would eliminate
much of
>the "cruft" (great word!).

yep a base class would get rind of the programming effort but it would
still be baggage - just baggage hidden away. I much prefer KISS principles ;)

>BTW, the JDOM group estimates that 20% of the DOM is cruft.

No - they believe that 20% of w3c XML spec will not be used by most
parties. W3C DOM is just an interface to spec and is unwiedly because it
has to support that extra 20% while JDOM doesn't ;)

>> Both proposals implement it as does another that will be checked in
>> shortly. They are not as standard but it is easy enough to create a smaller
>> more directed interface.
>Are you talking about myrmidon and Anteater?

both kinda ;)

>I don't see it in Anteater, but perhaps you have access to code that isn;t
>checked in. Anteater is very sparse right now, but I'm sure JDD has a
bunch of
>code that hasn;t been checked in to CVS.

I am just guess based on where I think Anteater will endup ;)

> A cursory look at myrmidon does not make it clear how changes to a Task can
>be written to a build script.

Well tasks are represented by COnfiguration objects. These objects are
basically a vastly simplified DOM-like representation. All you would have
to do is walk tree to write it out ;)