ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Default libs included
Date Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:24:33 GMT
At 09:30  14/12/00 -0800, Josh Lucas wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:
>>
>> 2. lib dirs other than $ANT_HOME/lib should ideally auotmagically sucked
>> into classpath
>>
>> I think we can fix 2 by an addition to the scripts. Basically suck in all
>> jars in ./lib just like we do for $ANT_HOME/lib. This is likeable because
>> it is very common pattern among different projects. If we don't provide
>> this the projects will end up having a build.[sh|bat] that basically does
>>

>Maybe I'm missing something but I don't think it should be the business
>of Ant to include anything 'automatically' to the CLASSPATH.  If someone
>wants to do that then it is their responsibility in either a .sh/.bat
>file or the xml build file.

Ant already includes stuff automatically, parser, support jars for tasks,
ant itself, rt.jar in some cases, tools.jar in other cases. Most projects
that I am involved in have a pattern of setting ANT_HOME to be the base
directory and thus <project>/lib is automatically included in classpath. It
is a convenience thing (and what the Ant build does itself) and very
common. If you want to exclude jars (due to incompatabilities etc generally
people will put it under lib/somedir/my.jar

Cheers,

Pete