ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Expanding ${} constructs for all attributes
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2000 10:06:56 GMT
At 11:00  13/12/00 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Peter Donald <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> While I won't block such a move I think it is possibly an example of
>> flexability syndrome mentioned a few days ago. Can you think of any
>> *good* use case for changing the value of either name or default
>> attributes of project or name attribute of target?
>
>Not really. I do see valid use cases for setting project's basedir
>based on user.home for example.

Could you expand on this and give an example of when it would be useful. ie
When would the current mechanisms fail and how would this solve it. Also
could it be solved by making basedir a special property. ie place
"-Dbasedir=foo/" on command line.

>> I see much much danger in evaluating depends attributes.
>
>If we were going to expand them at runtime that is, right. Actually I
>was proposing to expand them at parser time - should have been
>clearer.

could you expand on this aswell.

>> Besides the fact that has been asked for can you think of any good
>> reasons to include it?
>
>Consistency.

good point. If we are going to make if/unless evaluated then it definetly
becomes an issue - however they are evaluated at interpret time. Not sure
thou.

Cheers,

Pete