ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Expanding ${} constructs for all attributes
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2000 09:31:19 GMT
At 09:36  13/12/00 +0100, Stefan Bodewig wrote:
>Hi,
>
>there have been numerous people on ant-user bitten by the fact that
>Ant currently doesn't expand ${} in any attribute of <project> and
><target>.

While I won't block such a move I think it is possibly an example of
flexability syndrome mentioned a few days ago. Can you think of any *good*
use case for changing the value of either name or default attributes of
project or name attribute of target? I can see *some* use for evaluation of
if/unless attributes (thou those uses would be better served with a XML +
XSLT -> build.xml). I see much much danger in evaluating depends
attributes. The evaluation order of targets becomes non-trivial and there
is all sorts of hidden dependency ordering.

Besides the fact that has been asked for can you think of any good reasons
to include it? (Remembering that a lot of people have also asked for
if/switch/select/when statements so asking is not something that is
necessarily good ;])

>Does anybody object against expanding them in these attributes as
>well? I.e. Ant would expand ${} in all attributes, making it more
>consistent.
>
>Stefan

Cheers,

Pete