ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] Optional Tasks
Date Wed, 13 Dec 2000 02:41:50 GMT
At 06:39  12/12/00 -0800, Diane Holt wrote:
>I'm not clear on what "core" is being defined as -- are we talking about
>what's currently labelled "Built-In Tasks" in the doc? If that's the case,
>then I think you should sort by what would be considered "basic build-tool
>functionality". The current list isn't bad -- things like <javac>, <jar>,
><java>, and <javadoc> wouldn't ordinarily be considered "basic", but Ant
>is a Java-centric build-tool, so in its case, I would consider them that
>way. But I would put the <cvs> task in Optional along with the other SCM
>tasks.

Other likely candidates (imho) are <genkey> (but that's because I'm
>not sure what it's even used for)

genkey is a wrapper around jdk1.2+ commandline keytool. It is used for
generating keys that can be used to sign jars. It should probably kept with
jdk tools (along with signjar)

>probably <mail> (even though I find it handy, I wouldn't consider it
>"basic functionality").

How about we have something like

core tasks: taskdef, property
core java tasks: javac, javadoc, signjar, jar, java
core file tasks: move, copy, rename etc

Cheers,

Pete