ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Automagic handling of DataType References
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2000 13:57:30 GMT
Hi,

I was thinking it may be a good idea to have some special case code to
handle references. In virtually all cases any datatype
(patternset/fileset/filterset) can be referenced by something-like

<mydatatype refid="myid" />

I was thinking that we could formalize it so that it was instead

<mydatatype-ref refid="myid"/>

When we see the -ref extention we know that it is a reference. In which
case we look up refid attribute. So we look up object referred to by
"myid". We then try to add it via the standard method "void addMydatatype(
final SomeType value );" minus the -ref extention. This would mean that
effectively any sub-element could be replaced by reference without
complicating either enduser or tasklet developers job.

What do you think ?

Cheers,

Pete