ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Tool Integration Problems
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2000 07:51:14 GMT
At 10:25  9/12/00 -0600, Simeon H.K. Fitch wrote:
>Peter Donald wrote:
>
>> >Simply
>> >forcing Task authors to provide getters may be good enough. This can be
>> >validated at parse time (in IntrospectionHelper) for enforcement.
>>
>> Not desirable. Only a small population of users will ever use the getters
>> but it constitutes a significant amount of work.
>
>I disagree here. Adding a "public String getFoo()" is a 30 second task.
>I would be more than willing to volunteer my time to go through very
>task in Ant and provide such accessor methods if the group voiced
>support for it.

if every property name get<blah> mapped to one property then it would not
be difficult but still a lot of work. However this is not the case.
Sometimes there are 3-4 attributes that map to one underlying attribute or
the task itself modifies the value or uses for some transform etc.

If there was a simple 1-to-1 mapping then it may be acceptable. It is
neither simple nor something that is useful for a minority of users of GUIs.

Have alook at mymidon proposal to see how I think it should be done.

Cheers,

Pete