ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ant 2 -> Java 1.2
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2000 22:27:47 GMT
At 03:27  9/12/00 -0500, Chris Todd wrote:
> [...]

What environment would that be? I don't know of any environment that
doesn't have reasonable 1.2 support. Hell - excepting *BSD, I don't know of
any developers environment that has a 1.2 but doesn't have a reasonable 1.3.

>You would essentially be telling those folks they can't use
>Ant in their development environment, they will have to go find some other
>system that has a 1.2 VM available for doing their builds.

nope - you will always have ant 1.*

>I don't know how
>many systems only have 1.1 VMs available, but I would rather see Ant be
>inclusive rather than exclusive.  Just my 2 cents as a devoted Ant user.

inclusive is good ... when it is not limiting. If I had to choose between
keeping 100% of current user base or developing a better product (and thus
more likely gain more more users) you know which choice I would make ? ;P
If you *reall* want 1.1 then you always have 1.*

Cheers,

Pete