ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Proposal] myrmidon
Date Sat, 09 Dec 2000 02:48:00 GMT
At 12:52  6/12/00 -0800, James Duncan Davidson wrote:
>On 12/6/00 12:12 AM, "Stefan Bodewig" <bodewig@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Mostly yes. I don't think that writing new tasklets would be more
>> difficult than writing tasks right now - and you could expect
>> developers who want to touch the core to make themselves familiar with
>> Avalon first.
>
>I admit, I haven't yet had the chance to take a long look at the Avalon
>based proposal.. But I have had the chance to talk about it with Pier and
>Fede (2 avalon folks) and they don't see the benefits to using Avalon for
>Ant... Given that, and my own predilection towards small, simple, and
>lightweight, I'm already way in the camp of not introducing that dependency.

It is probable that I haven't explained exactly what I want to use Avalon
for. Currently AValon is basically 4 things

1. Repository of utility code
2. A set of patterns for managing components and their lifecycle
3. A Micro-kernel
4. A set of services for Micro-kernel

I intend only to use 2 and 1. When I asked Fede about whether he thought it
was appropriate he replied...

"If you mean using avalon patterns it would be great. I really belive those
patterns should be used in ALL java projects. No exception. That's the
purpose of those interfaces."

Apparently you guys are having diner soon so if you do discuss it I welcome
criticism. The only real issue I see (besides java1.2 + SAX2 which IMHO are
non-issues now) are that the util code (point 1 above) includes some stuff
that Ant does not need - like object pooling code, internationalisation
code (thou we would eventually use that) and a few other bits and pieces
(Priority Queue/Thread locking & management). These could be stripped out
if a real issue but I doubt they take up more than 30 kb so ...

Cheers,

Pete