ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Tool Integration Problems
Date Fri, 08 Dec 2000 23:29:40 GMT
At 12:29  8/12/00 -0800, you wrote:
>> From: Peter Donald [mailto:donaldp@apache.org]
>>

>> Thats why I like the idea of a DOM-like structure. This
>> DOM-like structure
>> can be read (and possibly writeable in special cases). This DOM-like
>> structure is then interpreted into a task object that is then
>> executed.
>>

>I am really quite anti-DOM for ANT core. DOM is really a dog and a memory
>hug which I do not need from ANT in the command line.
>I do not know why should I pay for something I do not need.
>For GUIs and editors, I have no problem and as I said over and over
>the point here is that is the GUI work to do the maping (DOM->SAX)
>for example, like is the CLI tool to the the mapping (XML->SAX)
>and is the Core task to map (SAX->Project).

Have a look at Configuration object from Avalon - you will find it is as
efficient as it gets to hold said information. It is more efficent that
other proposed methods of holding data.

>So what happen when tool 75 wants to use some other representation
>that is not DOM-like? Do we need to go and change ANT to support this
>other thing? How many memory representation do we want to keep in memory?

Well they just adapt the builder and change it from returing
DefaultConfiguration to MyFancySmancyConfiguration...

>Today ANT has only one representation in memory (i.e., Project).
>The XML and SAX representation as just streamed and are never fully
>materialized in memory. Any DOM-like representation away from Project
>would mean that now there are two of them around for the long run.

Project isn't represented  in a dom-like way as there is no need - it was
the tasks in particular that are represented by Configuration object
because they need to be.

>Core should not need that. If the GUI or some other tool needs it,
>it is up to that tool to pay for it.

Well if you can give a good method of full dynamic ability without a
dom-like representation I am all ears ...

Cheers,

Pete