ant-dev mailing list archives

From Peter Donald <dona...@apache.org>
Subject Re: cvs commit: jakarta-ant/proposal/anteater/lib crimson.jarjaxp.jar
Date Thu, 07 Dec 2000 02:07:17 GMT
At 05:55  6/12/00 -0800, Jon Stevens wrote:
>on 12/6/2000 5:42 PM, "Peter Donald" <donaldp@apache.org> wrote:
>
>> Well not about that but more due to legal thing. I would never touch
>> something that has Suns license attached. I thought Apache had a clean tree
>> policy - ie only Apache copyright source is allowed to exist in CVS.
>> However Crimson has Sun copyright stuff in the tree - this seems silly -
>> especially as xml-xerces has similar source (the jaxp parser package) that
>> could be easily adpated to jaxp1.1 and we could do away with unclean tree
>> and that silly license.
>>
>> I guess it is a little anal but I have seen the results of discarding
>> legality (thou I live in a particularly restrictive country so YMMV).
>
>Turbine is totally illegal with regards to what it distributes. We are legal
>with regards to GPL (we don't include any GPL software), but not with
>regards to Sun's .jar files (ie: mail.jar, activation.jar, etc...)

I thought they were covered by "Binary Code License Agreement" + the
standard extention Supplemental. I agree you break some parts .. namely you
don't

1. comply with export restrictions to embargoes countries
2. allow it to be used within nuclear facilties ;)
3. possibly the strictures set out for US gov software (which I don't know
anything about)

Stefano said ages ago that (1) would be fixed (ie block ftp/cvs connections
from "bad" countries). You can comply with (2) by adding a simple
disclaimer (Not for use in nuclear facilties ;]). About 3 I don't know but
it could be looked into if it was an issue.

However jaxp1.1 is an early release and thus covered by the "Pre-Release
Binary Software Evaluation Agreement" which explictly disallows
distribution (among other things). Thats why I *thought* that distributing
mail.jar is legal but jaxp1.1.jar is not - thou IANAL so ... ;)

Cheers,

Pete